Before you reach for the thermostat, grab a chair: A recent study by Consumer Energy Solutions revealed that 70% of companies and 90% of nonprofits are overcharged on their energy bills. And even if your bills are accurate, you’re likely spending more than you need to during the season that pulls the largest energy load, aka costs you the most: summer.
Now the good news: With a little legwork and the expertise of an Evolution Energy auditor, you can identify causes of overspending, then make changes that lead to significant savings.
UTILITY BILL AUDIT
- Check your supply rate. Depending on market conditions, you might be able to lock in a lower fixed rate this summer, or even take advantage of the cash market.
- Make sure you’re in the correct rate class. Most businesses fall into one of two rate classes: large use or small use, determined by energy type and annual energy spending. An auditor can tell you whether your categorization is right or if it’s costing you.
- Check your bills. If monthly charges look suspiciously high, low, or erratic, there’s a chance your meters are off. If you paid too much, you’ll get it back – but if you’ve been undercharged you’ll need to pay the difference. Either way, your energy provider will replace your meter with one that ensures billing accuracy moving forward.
COMMERCIAL ENERGY AUDIT
- Install LED light bulbs. Not only do LED light bulbs use less energy than halogen, they also last significantly longer.
- Install programmable thermostats and/or lighting controls. Take oversight and error out of the equation. Pre-set lights and HVAC according to when energy’s needed and when it’s not.
- Review your property to see if energy efficient options are available. Energy-saving opportunities exist across HVAC, lighting, refrigeration, and motor leads – as do grants, rebates, loans, equipment leases, and on-bill financing to make savings possible.
- Turn your thermostat up one or two degrees. You’ll spend less – and your employees might just do more.
- Let the sun do the work. Take advantage of natural sunlight and long days by turning off overhead lighting when possible.
- Embrace “summer Fridays.” Thinking of closing early one day a week or letting employees work from home? They’ll love it – and you’ll love the savings that stem from reduced energy use.
MANAGE SUPPLY COSTS
Get competitive price quotes through a bid process. Want the lowest rate out there? Let Evolution Energy Partners compare rates for you from reputable suppliers